frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are command blocks disabled?

edited April 2016 in support

I realize that command blocks have lag issues associated with them.  Having said that, I believe they could be beneficial if used sparingly (once per 16 chunks for instance); only people with OP status in Creative mode i.e. admins can edit them, and as someone who became quite brilliant at writing code for them in Exadia, I think you'd be truly surprised to the extent they can be used, especially since CommandBook mostly works with them.  Ask me a ridiculous idea for something you want to see in Minecraft, and I can probably give you the code to make it happen with a command block.  In some cases, I can probably even create workarounds for plugins yet to be updated.

Comments

• At a guess (as you've already mentioned) they're not enabled due to the resources a bunch of them would take up assuming loads of users are using them at the same time. I'd love to use em being used but even without having them enabled we're at times struggling with lag on Survival as it is. 

• edited April 2016

You ask why they are disabled yet give no valid reason for why they should be enabled other than it is something you know how to use.  Writing a few lines of Java code is infinitely easier than writing a bunch of command block commands in a tiny box.

Custom potions, custom weapons, custom mobs, custom mob spawners- throw the word custom in front of anything and I can give you an example.  In a lot of cases (especially spawners), the command block can be broken after a single activation.  You want a Wither Skeleton spawner in the overworld?  Command blocks can make that happen with a one-and-done command.  If you want examples of custom anything using a one-shot command, just name it ITT.

At a guess (as you've already mentioned) they're not enabled due to the resources a bunch of them would take up assuming loads of users are using them at the same time. I'd love to use em being used but even without having them enabled we're at times struggling with lag on Survival as it is. 

Now that I can get behind.  Sucks how you're lagging even without them.

Edit: again, only admins would be able to write them.  If cindy made you an admin, she already trusts you with shit like /gamerule, /gamemode, /op, /deop, /ban, /pardon, etc.  Trusting admins to use command blocks responsibly ain't too far of a stretch.

• Did not know that about Spigot.  Now that I do, my point is invalid.

• Did not know that about Spigot.  Now that I do, my point is invalid.

Thanks for the suggestions all the same.

• Bit of an update: I've been testing 1.10.x in Singleplayer and it turns out that structure blocks are capable of both copying (chain) command blocks and preserving their commands.  Even better, these structure blocks are transferable as files.  Given enough time and effort, I could recreate the fucking Library of Alexandria with two activations.  Do explore this possibility.

• Let me put this simple:

NO.

A little more complex:

We will NOT be activating command blocks.

Even more complicated:

Command blocks can be abused to destroy servers with multiple people.  We do not have the time nor resources to ensure this is not the case.  As such, command blocks will never be enabled on any MineCats servers.  You may have better luck trying to coax a cat out of a tree with a pitbull.

• I know.  I just wanted to post the potential of structure blocks without making a new thread for it.

• Command blocks are cool because they allow you to do what you want just typing a command on they, and thats the problem because you cant disable commands of the command block. I've seen a lot of people using a command block for destroy a wole server with 1 command, because with a command book you like god. I think Minecats never had a server with the command blocks activated for this reason. Command blocks are cool for singleplayer, but in a multiplayer server is like an active Nuclear Bomb that can explode really easy and destroy all.

Have a wonderfull day

-Maxtech_