frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Other Languages ideas

I've had this idea for a long time actually, and I decided to state it after what I saw on Minecats Creative server today.

I think that we should allow other languages to be spoken.

One user joined Minecats Creative today, and spoke Spanish. They were saying stuff in general (I forgot what) that was in Spanish. CubTamers told them to stop, and eventually muted them. I then messaged them and spoke to them in Spanish. They said that they had no idea how to speak English, and they were very confused. I felt really bad because while people were asking them to stop speaking Spanish in general, they were saying it in ENGLISH. So this poor person had no idea what they were saying, and I don't believe that's fair.

Based on what I've heard, the main reason we can't speak other languages is because most people on the server speak English as their main language, and don't understand Spanish, except the base words that most people know, such has Hola, Adios, Amigo, Si, etc. What I think that we could do, is have another channel like general, but you could speak Spanish there. We could start off with just Spanish, and if it is not working out for the server, then we could remove it. If it is working good, then later, down the road, we could possibly add more language, such as German, French, African, Swedish, Korean, etc.

I believe that this would benefit the server because then, more people of different languages would join us. 

If you don't think that my idea is quite right for the server at this point in time, I understand. But I do ask you to at least tell CubTamers, mods, etc. that when a person of another language is speaking in general, to tell them to stop in their language. It doesn't take much, they can just open google translate, and copy and paste. 

I appreciate the time you took to read this, and hope that you will accept my idea.

Comments

• edited January 14

I love the idea, and I agree that this issue needs to be solved. 

A concern I have though would be about how would staff moderate the Spanish channels in order to keep them calm and organized. Possibly google translate, but that might be very challenging for us to manage while also moderating the English channels and any other languages we wish to have later down the road. Do you have a suggestion for doing this? 

I love the idea and I love that you are watching out for others; and I also agree with you and think we should try to solve this issue in some way, but that's a note I had about it. Please know I do not in any way mean to put down your idea or say it's bad, but I'm just putting in my input as a fellow MineCatter. If you feel I have been rude in any way please /msg me on MineCats and I would be happy to speak with you - I truly just wish to input my opinion on this cool idea. :)/emoticons/default_smile.png" srcset="/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

•  I believe this is a very good idea, on the other MineCats network servers we have a designated chat for speaking other languages, it's called the "World" channel. I very much agree with you that it is extremely difficult to be from another country and not be able to speak english, I myself have experienced what it feels like, when I joined the server my english was very bad, and I had to talk to some of my friends in Portuguese.

However, PixelizedCookie has a point that it is quite difficult for staff members to moderate other languages, but that should not have to stop people from speaking in other languages, I myself speak Spanish and know that most of the time people are not swearing. Due to the fact that we have Staff members from all over the world, taking care of chat will be facilitated.

If a player is swearing we will take all of the actions, perhaps even use google translate or any sort of translators to stop them from doing it, players should not have to be muted from simply speaking another language, it can even be considered ethnocentric to think that just because someone is speaking another language, it is required for them to be muted. I know many people feel that people speaking other languages in an American server is not very appropriate, but they could simply leave the channel used for speaking other languages if they'd like.

I would love to have a "World" chat on Creative, it would definitely bring more players to the server and make the experience more enjoyable for foreign players.

~ Vitalbra

• MakMak
    edited January 2

I think this is a great idea.

As Vitalbra said, I know a few staff who know other languages such as Spanish or French, including myself.

I love the idea to a "World" chat. If this were to take a vote, I would say yes, let's do it. And, since a lot of the staff are also bilingual, this could be able to happen. When I first joined the server, I wasn't too good at English, either. Of course, now it's my primary language. I even got muted. I didn't know what was going on, and, it made me nervous. So, I know the feeling. Having a new channel would definitely change that feeling. We might even bring in more players, now with the fact they do not absolutely need to know English. Of course, it would be a little tricky, since, a bunch of Staff only know English. But, as I said; lots do know parts of other languages, or are bilingual. This might not be an easy change, but, I know MineCats has a big heart, and might be willing to. 

But, these are just my thoughts. I'm only a ChatMod, so, I don't make this happen. But, it would certainly be great.

Thanks,

Mak

• Thank you all for your feedback.

I also think that a creative "World" channel would fix this problem. And thuogh there might not be as much staff that is bilingual, but there are also many other people, who aren't staff/cubtamer, that know other languages, who could possiby help.

And, if someone who spoke English did not wish to see other languages, they could simply leave the channel.

If there is a way, could I possibly bring this idea to an admin/owner?

Again, thank you for your feedback.

~FireTheReindeer

• 1 hour ago, Firestar1009 said:

Thank you all for your feedback.

I also think that a creative "World" channel would fix this problem. And thuogh there might not be as much staff that is bilingual, but there are also many other people, who aren't staff/cubtamer, that know other languages, who could possiby help.

And, if someone who spoke English did not wish to see other languages, they could simply leave the channel.

If there is a way, could I possibly bring this idea to an admin/owner?

Again, thank you for your feedback.

~FireTheReindeer

I'm pretty sure that since this is a post, it has been/will be seen.

Also, as Staff, we alert other staff. I haven't brought this up in a conversation, but, I'm sure someone else has. Thanks, though. :)/emoticons/default_smile.png" srcset="/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

~Mak

• Next time I see a player speaking in Spanish, I will try my best to use google translate and figure out what they're saying, I may even speak to them in their language as well telling them about the situation. Thanks for making this, it really needed to be addressed.

• Thank you Mak... and also thank you Lady S Pisces, I really appreciate you helping :D/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" srcset="/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />