frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Staff Issues [ Afking, mutes, etc ]

So, I would like to start off this thread with a little backstory to when i used to play this server almost 3 years ago, as i joined in November 2014, and even before that as I made my account a bit after I actually joined the server. Minecats used to be a fun environment for everyone to participate in, the players actually were able to handle jokes, the staff members weren't as uptight and immature, and also the community was a whole lot better than it is now. I had came across so many issues with the staff team as I came back from basically a year and a half break of minecraft all in general. Some issues that I had came across, is staff afking while on the server, false mutes, and staff immaturity and lack of knowledge.
I'll save staff afking to last, as i actually have a video from a fellow member on minecats who recorded a conversation with other members about a staff afking, but we will come back to that later. So, false mutes. I have encountered so many false mutes that it's actually insane. Let's start off with a mute that I have gotten by Bygones. So, we were talking in chat just having a conversation when someone said " you thot " in chat. This person had not gotten a warning, which was completely odd to me, but I had let it go. Then Bygones has specifically told us that we were allowed to use the word " hoe " and " thot " as long as we weren't directing it at anyone, so I listened to what Bygones had told me and respected that. People were using the word, but not excessively. The problem I have with this, is that whenever I had said it in a way that was not directed to anyone I had gotten a warning. I was completely not okay with that, as I had done nothing wrong as Bygones told me that it was alright. I started to discuss the fact that I shouldn't have those warnings, as I didn't do anything wrong and then Bygones had literally muted me. That is where I got extremely mad, because I was trying to discuss with that staff member, and I can guarantee that he/she knew that I was right, so he/she just decided to mute me because it was the easiest thing to do. Not once did he/she say to message her/him about it, I was just straight up muted which I have a huge problem with. Another time where I had experienced a biased staff, was Lily. So, we were i the discord and there was just a bunch of people yelling and screaming in the discord, so I left. In local chat, I had said that they were like their own ear rape. I had gotten warned for "talking about rape" which I respected once again, and just moved on. Then, another member had said literally the EXACT same thing in local chat with Lily there participating in a roleplay, and there was NO warning given out to this user. So, I brought hit up saying that it's unfair that she had given me a warning, and not him. After me discussing the fact that it was unfair, she had finally warned him for his actions, but I guarantee that if I hadn't of said anything there would have been no warning given out, which I was again completely not okay with. There are so many more times that I had been muted falsely, but I won't get into that.
Next, we have staff immaturity and lack of knowledge. Now, I had gotten muted one time by I believe Braadd, for a reason that I yet have to discover. I had messaged him privately about the mute, wondering what I had done and why I was muted on such short notice. He had literally responded to me saying that he didn't have to tell me the reason why I had been muted, and that if I had continued on with messaging him my mute would extend. Now, please tell me how is that anywhere's near a mature and knowledged staff member? He was literally unable to tell me why I was muted, because there was literally no reason for it. That scenario had me extremely mad, as it was just one of the worst moments I had ever experienced with a staff member. As well as another time, my friend was muted by Bygones, once again. He was trying to explain his point of view, he had gotten muted for "arguing with staff." which I find completely atrocious, as he was just trying to defend himself but whatever. The way she/he had handled the situation was absolutely immature, and I just couldn't believe that I was actually speaking to a staff member at that time. The lack of maturity and knowledge of some of the staff members is honestly worrying, as whenever a staff member tells you something is alright, then goes ahead and mutes you for doing something that they said was allowed? I'm sorry, but that's just triggering. I could honestly rant on about this subject for so long, but I would rather not have literally a book of complaints on here for you to read.
Finally, staff afking. I had been told today actually by Cheskel that staff are able to afk. Now, please explain to me why is this allowed? Why are staff members actually allowed to afk on the server, whenever there are people that are in need of that staff member at that time. If you are going to be afk, log off the server so we don't try to get his attention, and actually think that there is a staff member online to actually help with something. All the other servers that I play on do not condone staff afking on the server, unless it's in the hubs as people can clearly tell that they are afk, and not left thinking or wondering where's this staff member, and when is he coming back? Braadd was one of the staff members that had been afk last night for over 20 minutes, and who knows how logn after I had logged off. It could have been an hour or two for all we know. Also, other members have reported that this was not the first time that he had done it that day. We have a video of proof showing that he was afk, and other's saying that he's been afk for more than 20 minutes which I think it just unacceptable. If you have to go somewhere's or something, log off. It's not difficult to press that red box with an x on the top of your screen, or press escape and disconnect. I'll link you to the video so you can see for yourself.
I know that I have been ranting on for quite a bit, but I just needed to vent my frustrations as whenever I try to do so in chat for someone to actually help me understand why this is happening, I just get muted for it or told to stop. You guys need to learn how to take criticism, so you can actually make your server more enjoyable for everyone. Criticism is something in life that we all need to have, but it seems like whenever I have an opinion about something it's impossible to even have one without getting muted, or warned for "arguing with staff" which I still find ridiculous as the staff is basically arguing with me as well, and can't take another point of view on a subject without muting me. I personally think Minecats needs a change in how they mentor their staff members, and how this server works. Back in 2014 it was never like this, people could actually take jokes, we could say things that if we said now, we would be muted for. It's like whenever I try to joke about something that's not even possible for someone to get offended over, someone always has something to say about how they're offended or whatever, it's honestly ridiculous. I'm going to end my rant here, because I'm sure this is already a book for you guys to read, but this is all of my opinions and thoughts and I honestly hope that you take what I say in mind and actually try to do something about it. If anyone would like to continue to converse with me about my opinions, like honestly please come to about it because I would love to hear more opinions and thoughts on such because I would love to get a discussion going, and maybe come to an agreement. Thank you for your time, and once again I'm sorry for writing you a novel, but I just needed to get this off of my chest. Thank you for your time.

Link to the video of Braadd afking -

Comments

• While I'm not not currently staff on Minecats, I can tell you my experience with AFKing as staff.

1. AFKing allows a staff member's Minecraft client to still get chat so the staff can scroll back to make sure things were okay (and deal with any issues that may have come up).

2. There are players that will come on and immediately check to see who's online. When they see staff, they leave. Why do they leave? Because they had intentions to hack/bypass or otherwise had bad intentions. Being online, even if AFK, can help deter bad actors in some cases (not all cases, and not even most cases, but every little bit helps).

Again, I am not staff on Minecats, but let me say this: When providing feedback and pointing out opportunities for improvement, you should really keep the sarcastic comments out of it.

In local chat, I had said that they were like their own ear rape.
    Though you were "respectful" about this, I want to say this: There are folks out there (some that play on Minecats) that have been through the traumatizing and horrific experience of having been raped. This is /not/ a word that should be thrown around as lightly as you did. Regardless of what anyone else did, you should not have gone there.

That's my $0.02 USD.

JaysonBond

• Forgot the closing code tag, sorry.

• @JaysonBond said:
    While I'm not not currently staff on Minecats, I can tell you my experience with AFKing as staff.

1. AFKing allows a staff member's Minecraft client to still get chat so the staff can scroll back to make sure things were okay (and deal with any issues that may have come up).

2. There are players that will come on and immediately check to see who's online. When they see staff, they leave. Why do they leave? Because they had intentions to hack/bypass or otherwise had bad intentions. Being online, even if AFK, can help deter bad actors in some cases (not all cases, and not even most cases, but every little bit helps).

Again, I am not staff on Minecats, but let me say this: When providing feedback and pointing out opportunities for improvement, you should really keep the sarcastic comments out of it.

Though you were "respectful" about this, I want to say this: There are folks out there (some that play on Minecats) that have been through the traumatizing and horrific experience of having been raped. This is /not/ a word that should be thrown around as lightly as you did. Regardless of what anyone else did, you should not have gone there.

That's my $0.02 USD.

JaysonBond

Alright, first off I appreciate your feedback but I have some things to say about it.
    First off, as for the afking thing, have you ever experienced people leaving because they saw staff on? I sure haven't. I'm pretty sure staff thinks of me as a "rule breaker " for getting muted so many times, but do I leave just because they're on? No, I do not. I know a whole bunch of people who get warnings and such for actions that they know they're doing, so honestly I don't think that's entirely true, but okay. Second of all, afking on a server for more than 20 minutes is not a good way to " deter " bad actions from players. If anything, it helps provoke the players to do and say things that they shouldn't. Once a staff goes afk, it's just like when a staff isn't on, trust me. I can see being afk for like 2-5 minutes, but even then it shouldn't be okay because of the fact that if you are currently showing yourself as online, you should actually be online and active. Not gone off to do other things, when people are trying to message your or just get your attention and cant.
    Next, about the sarcastic comments. Please provide me some proof of the times where I put sarcastic comments, because that would be very much appreciated as I literally spent 30 minutes of my time writing this thing with nothing being sarcastic in it at all. So, please provide me some examples of me being sarcastic, thanks.
    Now, for the ear rape thing. First of all, I said it in local chat with literally 5 people. None of those people even took offense to me saying it, as they know that I'm joking and also they just don't really care or have anything against what I said. You saying that I should not have gone there is completely out of the question, as they know what I had meant by ear rape, as in LOUD noises that consisted them of screaming. As well, if others were saying it as well in the same local chat, you just know that they didn't have a problem with it. You assuming that I would just throw that word out like it's nothing is completely surprising to me, as I don't take the topic of rape easily either. I think it's a disgusting act of humanity and would never EVER us that word to offend anyone. So, please think about some things before coming and typing them onto my thread, because i'm actually slightly taken back at you saying that I should not have gone there, making me seem like an awful person for even saying it.
    Anyways, that's my feedback to your, but yeah thanks for commenting on my thread regardless.

• @2001Lexi said:

@JaysonBond said:
    While I'm not not currently staff on Minecats, I can tell you my experience with AFKing as staff.

That's my $0.02 USD.

JaysonBond

Alright, first off I appreciate your feedback but I have some things to say about it.
    First off, as for the afking thing, have you ever experienced people leaving because they saw staff on? I sure haven't. I'm pretty sure staff thinks of me as a "rule breaker " for getting muted so many times, but do I leave just because they're on? No, I do not. I know a whole bunch of people who get warnings and such for actions that they know they're doing, so honestly I don't think that's entirely true, but okay. Second of all, afking on a server for more than 20 minutes is not a good way to " deter " bad actions from players. If anything, it helps provoke the players to do and say things that they shouldn't. Once a staff goes afk, it's just like when a staff isn't on, trust me. I can see being afk for like 2-5 minutes, but even then it shouldn't be okay because of the fact that if you are currently showing yourself as online, you should actually be online and active. Not gone off to do other things, when people are trying to message your or just get your attention and cant.
    Next, about the sarcastic comments. Please provide me some proof of the times where I put sarcastic comments, because that would be very much appreciated as I literally spent 30 minutes of my time writing this thing with nothing being sarcastic in it at all. So, please provide me some examples of me being sarcastic, thanks.
    Now, for the ear rape thing. First of all, I said it in local chat with literally 5 people. None of those people even took offense to me saying it, as they know that I'm joking and also they just don't really care or have anything against what I said. You saying that I should not have gone there is completely out of the question, as they know what I had meant by ear rape, as in LOUD noises that consisted them of screaming. As well, if others were saying it as well in the same local chat, you just know that they didn't have a problem with it. You assuming that I would just throw that word out like it's nothing is completely surprising to me, as I don't take the topic of rape easily either. I think it's a disgusting act of humanity and would never EVER us that word to offend anyone. So, please think about some things before coming and typing them onto my thread, because i'm actually slightly taken back at you saying that I should not have gone there, making me seem like an awful person for even saying it.
    Anyways, that's my feedback to your, but yeah thanks for commenting on my thread regardless.

1 - AFK and players leaving: Yes, I have. And then later, when no staff was on, I got tickets because they destroyed other peoples stuff. And also other shady players were being abusive in chat when they knew that staff was not online. So, yes, I absolutely have experienced this.

2 - Sarcastic comment: "It's not difficult to press that red box with an x on the top of your screen, or press escape and disconnect. I'll link you to the video so you can see for yourself. "

3 - You sit there and say that rape is "a disgusting act of humanity" but then you say that it's acceptable to use? To me (and this is my opinion, as I've had the opportunity to help people who have been raped), you don't even use the word 'rape' out of context to describe anything else. Would you say that around your grandmother? Around your mother? Around your pastor (or other official in whatever religion you may subscribe to)? Here's the other thing (and multiple psychological studies clearly confirm this) - you may joke about something and people around you may laugh, but one (or more) of those people may have been made to feel uncomfortable by your joke but they're not going to stand up and tell you. It happens in school, it happens on the playground, it happens at work, it happens everywhere. Just because someone doesn't say "Whoa, not okay" doesn't mean someone wasn't thinking it. Maybe one of their family members were raped but they don't want to start a whole discussion or get on your bad side or look "too sensitive" in front of the group. At the end of the day, it's not a word to throw around. Ever.

Now, this thread is going down a hole that the staff probably don't want to see it go down. We have both made our sides of our opinions clear. You know my opinion. I know your opinion. Let's leave it at that.

Wish you the best,

Jayson

• 1 - AFK and players leaving: Yes, I have. And then later, when no staff was on, I got tickets because they destroyed other peoples stuff. And also other shady players were being abusive in chat when they knew that staff was not online. So, yes, I absolutely have experienced this.

2 - Sarcastic comment: "It's not difficult to press that red box with an x on the top of your screen, or press escape and disconnect. I'll link you to the video so you can see for yourself. "

3 - You sit there and say that rape is "a disgusting act of humanity" but then you say that it's acceptable to use? To me (and this is my opinion, as I've had the opportunity to help people who have been raped), you don't even use the word 'rape' out of context to describe anything else. Would you say that around your grandmother? Around your mother? Around your pastor (or other official in whatever religion you may subscribe to)? Here's the other thing (and multiple psychological studies clearly confirm this) - you may joke about something and people around you may laugh, but one (or more) of those people may have been made to feel uncomfortable by your joke but they're not going to stand up and tell you. It happens in school, it happens on the playground, it happens at work, it happens everywhere. Just because someone doesn't say "Whoa, not okay" doesn't mean someone wasn't thinking it. Maybe one of their family members were raped but they don't want to start a whole discussion or get on your bad side or look "too sensitive" in front of the group. At the end of the day, it's not a word to throw around. Ever.

Now, this thread is going down a hole that the staff probably don't want to see it go down. We have both made our sides of our opinions clear. You know my opinion. I know your opinion. Let's leave it at that.

Wish you the best,

Jayson

It seems like to me that you're trying to defend the staff somehow for afking for over 20 minutes, which by the way is supposedly not allowed, so like I honestly don't know why you're trying to continue on with this. If a staff wants to afk, they can go to the lobby and do so. Players will cause trouble in the chat while staff are afk and gone because they know that there's no one around to do anything about it at that moment of time.
    As for the sarcastic comment, how is that sarcastic? I'm stating the truth. You can easily log off of the game in literally a second, and that was the point I was getting across. Not being sarcastic at all, but I mean whatever floats your boat.
    Rape is a disgusting act of humanity, and if you would actually read I said " ear rape " which has nothing to do with the actual meaning of it. If you would actually notice, literally everyone says the word ear rape, and has anyone actually taken offense to it or taken it as the actual meaning on rape? Look all over the internet, literally all you see are the loud noises and such and everyone knows what the term "ear rape " means. Also, you're bringing this wayy out of context as I had said that I was warned for it, and I respected that. Where did all this come from? Tell me where. Also, if you must know yes, I have used this word around literally my whole family and they don't have a problem with it. You trying to explain to me that people are uncomfortable by a joke that I literally said in LOCAL CHAT with 5 people who had nothing to say about it, and taken it this far out of context is literally irrelevant to the actual issues that I had brought up in the first place. You need to get a reality check and realize that there is way worse things that are being said out in this world, and you're literally flaming me about saying " ear rape " that literally everyone says? I even w

• I even was talking to a player who said that they had said ear rape many times in local chat with a staff member and they had NO problem with it whatsoever. Like, I understand that these things happen in the real world, but you have to understand that this is the internet. There are terms that mean something complete different than the actual meaning. People are going to use terms over the internet that you may find completely offensive or whatever, but at the end of the day you have to come to a realization that this is 2017, and there are many more terms that people use more commonly on a day to day basis that aren't meant to offend someone. I know you're probably going to go off and say " but it's still not okay to throw around such a word ", but if that is your only argument towards this situation, then i'm just wasting my time. This was taken so out of context, that I honestly cant believe it. All this conversation over a sensitive topic never had to come from my thread. Anyways, that's all I'm saying about that.