frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mojangs New Rules for Servers!

Here is mojang's new rules on how servers are allowed to support themselves:

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/

Here is my statement on it:

http://minecats.com/changes-are-coming-mojangs-announcement/

Feel free to comment on this thread.  

Thanks!

Cindy K

Comments

• I don't particularly like the new rules. The ranks are great and cool and everyone loves having their name in a cool colour, patriot or citizen. But charging people to play a server?!?! Kinda shocked and a little disappointed with mojang.

• I don't see what's wrong with donation ranks, almost every popular server, no, every MMO game has it. What Mojang doesn't seem to realize is that there are servers, like Minecats, that have completely fair ranks and perks and that everyone who buys them is completely satisfied. If Mojang finds a way to enforce these rules, I hope they see that and leave us alone.

• I agree with Wrap here, they should reconsider these.

• the way they put it, it pay to win, which they don't want. I understand that argument, but ranks (at least on Minecats) aren't pay to win. The way I see it, it's pay to enhance. By purchasing a rank, you aren't getting an advantage against other players, you're just making your experience more enjoyable. Why should mojang prohibit players from having more fun in their game?

Sent using L.A.M.P.S (Leprechaun Affiliated Magical Postal Service)

• I agree with Wrap here, they should reconsider these.

Mojang should also add ice-cream, unicorns and pegasi to mc

• Monday, they are supposed to put out a FAQ on their new rules. We will see what they have to say. Right now, their rules are sad image/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">

• Wait, hold up, how are they going to enforce this?

• Cease and Desist, Lawyers

• Players are already telling on servers that aren't complying. Mojang just asked that they stop and right now is a grace period but I don't think this is going to be pretty.

• Let the 75th Annual(el?) Hunger Games BEGIN! Lol sorry. No honestly it's just so annoying! Everyone loves their ranks and loves they're little perks. Now does anyone know how to contact ANYONE at mojang?

• notch's latest comment: image/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">

http://notch.net/2014/06/literally-worse-than-ea/

I don't have a lot of hope here.

and said this:

"@notch Also for people who can read between the lines: if you're doing something that lawyers don't like, don't draw attention to it."

and this:

"@notch (Becoming a big company counts as drawing attention)"

• notch's latest comment: image/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />

http://notch.net/2014/06/literally-worse-than-ea/

I don't have a lot of hope here.

and said this:

"@notch Also for people who can read between the lines: if you're doing something that lawyers don't like, don't draw attention to it."

and this:

"@notch (Becoming a big company counts as drawing attention)"

Herobrine... isn't real?
  • Herobrine' s real enough to me. But anyway the new rules are ticking me off a lot.

• But anyway the new rules are ticking me off a lot.

these aren't new rules, they're just staying that these are the rules

• these aren't new rules, they're just staying that these are the rules

Actually these are new rules, before the real rule was that no ones was allowed to sell anything but Mojang just ignore what everyone was doing. These rules give servers an approved way to make money, unfortunately they aren't really viable from what I am looking at and it looks like Mojang is going to try and enforce them.

• ahh, thanks for the clarification.

I still wonder how they're going to enforce this. Why someone would 'turn in' a server they play on is mind boggling to me. I guess it will end up like the French Revolution, people on other servers turning in other servers until mojang realizes something's wrong with the system or many servers are executed for no good reason

• No exactly it's absolute poop! The servers are happy with how they're running atm! Whatever possessed mojang to come out with this, I'll never know! image/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />  image/emoticons/default_angry.png" alt=":angry:" />  image/emoticons/default_huh.png" alt=":huh:" />  image/emoticons/default_sleep.png" alt="-_-" srcset="/emoticons/sleep@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />   image/emoticons/default_dry.png" alt="<_<" />  image/emoticons/default_wub.png" alt=":wub:" />image/emoticons/default_unsure.png" alt=":unsure:" />  image/emoticons/default_blink.png" alt=":blink:" />  image/emoticons/default_angry.png" alt=":angry:" />  image/emoticons/default_angry.png" alt=":angry:" />

• Open Letter to Mojang from the large servers.
    http://sterlingplays.com/

Dear Notch,
    I just read your blog post ‘Literally worse than EA‘ and would like to clarify the community’s concerns about the new EULA guidelines from the perspective of a multiplayer server owner. I know you’ve been getting a lot of angry comments over email & Twitter and, as someone who is also frustrated with the process Mojang has been following in the last few weeks, am hoping that this letter will help you understand the arguments behind the emotion.
    The multiplayer community 1) feels that these new rules are unjust to servers that Mojang has for years given encouragement and permission to develop and operate custom gameplay experiences financed through fair revenue models and 2) sees that these rules risk killing gameplay innovation in the multiplayer space.
    Precedence.
    Your blog post states: “These are new exceptions to the EULA. All of these make the rules more liberal than things were before.” While that may be true from a legal standpoint, in practice it’s simply not true.
    In the original EULA for Minecraft, you explicitly stated players could create and sell content for the game – “Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money.” Many of the current large networks and modders starting developing for Minecraft when that was the only document in effect.
    Having a completely open platform meant that there was unlimited potential for content to be created and modified into new and exciting gaming experiences. In the last few years, players have done that and then some. YouTubers have been creating awesome video content, modders have been creating awesome single-player experiences, and server networks have been creating awesome multiplayer games using Minecraft as a platform.
    Permission.
    Somewhere along the line, your values around having a completely open platform changed, and Mojang put up that “huge EULA”. However, even then, Mojang didn’t come out and tell everyone that you didn’t like the large multiplayer servers that were springing up, you continued to endorse and support us. One example of many clear indications that you supported our servers and business models was that Mojang has invited us onto panels and to exhibit booths at Minecon. Last year included a panel called ‘Running a Server‘ that talked about how to run a professional multiplayer server and where revenue models were explicitly discussed.
    I personally discussed our rank system with a member of your business team at Minecon last year and he confirmed we were in compliance with the EULA. The only rule was to not sell Mojang IP (ie. selling access to a diamond sword), which none of the large networks do.
    Covering Costs.
    Looking at the revenue models Mojang has proposed, there are both economic and experiential issues with all of them. We will either not be able to sustain our revenue to be able to keep up with our costs, or we will need to become so focused on developing cosmetic revenue-driving items that we will ruin the experience for our players. We serve millions of players a month, and with that comes substantial costs: servers, ddos mitigation, chat filters, website costs – most of which are on annualized contracts that we locked into. In your blog you mention “Mojang has people working with business contracts, taxes, support, lawyering and office management, but most people make games.” We have those exactly same people Notch, and they need to be paid fair salaries for their work.
    I have asked people to leave their jobs to come work for Mineplex full-time, as I know is the case at the majority of the other large server networks. I can not, or rather will not, fire those people to try conform to rules that I truly believe will do nothing but harm us, Mojang, and the Minecraft community as a whole.
    Revenue Models.
    You have said a few times that these new rules are not designed to kill private multiplayer servers, but what you are doing will, and the revenue models you’ve proposed just don’t work.
    “1) You are now allowed to charge players to access your servers”
    You’ve spoken out against the P2W model that seems far too prevalent in the gaming industry today, an opinion I agree with - there shouldn’t be too far of a separation of experience for paying vs. non-paying players, especially when using an open-source platform like Minecraft. However, that is EXACTLY what you’re encouraging here. Now not only will players who don’t want to pay not be able to have access to every custom-built feature or gameplay experience, they won’t have access to any of them because they won’t be able to get into the server in the first place.
    “2) You may ask for donations but cannot offer a reward in exchange, beyond a “thank you” in-game chat message thanking the donor publicly.”
    This has been proven to not provide even close to the revenue needed to run a medium to large size network multiple times. The most recent example I’ve heard of was when the fine gentlemen over at Mindcrack tried this model for 6 months and simply could not maintain costs.
    “3) You are allowed to provide in-game advertising opportunities, sponsorships, or product placement.”
    This is the proposed ‘solution’ that makes the least sense to me. You’d RATHER have 3-rd party advertisements in our servers? Mineplex is currently the largest multiplayer server, we’d stand to make the most revenue from a model like this. But I will never implement this because it would be a terrible in-game experience for our players – many of whom are young enough that I wouldn’t be comfortable shoving ads at on moral grounds.
    Pay-To-Win.
    “4) You are allowed to sell anything which does not affect gameplay, except for Capes”
    I think the fundamental disagreement here is what servers are selling. Mineplex, as well as the other major networks (Hypixel, Shotbow, Oc.tc, Hive, etc.), all understand that you do not want Minecraft to become a pay-to-win game. But none of us have a revenue model focused on pay-to-win. While many of our ranks/kits give access different abilities in game, they are balanced classes. The default starting classes are no better or worse than the ones you can earn through play or by paying for rank. It’s just a different customized experience, they all have pros/cons and are not a guaranteed win in a minigame - you are not paying to win, you’re just paying for a different experience – amongst other cosmetic rank benefits.
    Ranked players receive no gameplay benefit over any other player, outside of a change in gameplay style. None of us have a model where any player would be ‘forced’ to pay to continue playing or to win a game, period.
    Not just killing us, killing multiplayer innovation.
    Outside of the massive split between paying and non-paying players that would be created with an access model, a larger problem would be that these guidelines would kill innovation in the multiplayer space.
    If servers only charge for cosmetic items, then the focus of their development is going to be on cosmetic items instead of focusing on the much more important gameplay aspects of their servers. The value of our networks has always been that we have brought unique, interesting, and engaging gameplay content to Minecraft. This will harm the servers who won’t be able to bring in enough income, the YouTubers who will lose new content to play on for their subscribers, and the players who will have less interesting games to play.
    Lastly, players will be much less likely to invest time and money into new multiplayer servers and game development if they don’t think they will have the same chance to get paid to do this full time.
    Realms.
    You must see why this looks like your lawyers were just building in a legal kill-switch, leaving us to grow large (helping to grow the Minecraft player-base to the size it is now), and then waiting until you had your own multiplayer service to execute the kill-switch and try have us shut down so players would have to come use Realms. I don’t know that I personally believe this, but that is one of the rationales being thrown around because server owners are trying to understand the motives behind the recent changes in policy and the unwillingness of Mojang to discuss and compromise on those changes.
    YouTube.
    “Once YouTube and streaming got bigger, we added specific exceptions saying you can totally monetize video content about the game.”
    This concept is a major reason you’re seeing such a backlash to the changes from the general Minecraft multiplayer community. Server networks are adding our own content to the game in much the same way the YouTube community is. While we understand you don’t want players to have to pay twice for Minecraft, we are not trying to profit on vanilla Minecraft – players come to our servers to play custom made games (Dragon Escape, Mega Walls, MineZ, etc.). These are now massive game types being used by servers all over the world, and they would never have been created if the large networks behind them couldn’t afford to pay developers to spend so much time creating them.
    Perspective.
    We have always felt like we were partners, we were taking your open source platform and creating a second tier of customized content to keep players engaged and interested in Minecraft. It is hard for servers that have put so much time and effort into MC to see you guys using language that imply you have merely been putting up with us rather than valuing our contribution.
    It is disappointing and disheartening to feel like Mojang does not see the incredible value of servers that are adding so much content to the game and keeping players engaged and interested in it. Last year we were described as the ‘second tier of content’ to Minecraft, that is the value we have always been seeking to provide.
    We have millions of players hitting our servers every single month to play our custom games. I’d have thought that Mojang could see the same value in our custom games as they see in the YouTubers who are adding content to the gameplay experience and being able to do that full time through a proper revenue model. Especially as much of their content focuses on our custom gamemodes, mods, etc., most of which could only be created with the time and resources our models provide.
    I hope that this post has given you some perspective on the other side of this debate, and that it has come across in the spirit it was intended.
    Thanks,
    Gregory (aka Sterling)

Mineplex
    Hypixel
    The Hive
    Shotbow
    Overcast Network

• edited June 2014

I bought Minecraft so I could play it Multiplayer. With others. I also bought it because I watched a youtube. Someone was playing it and it looked so fun!

So yes, because of Youtube and Servers its why i bought Minecraft. Who the hell buys Minecraft for Single player? I would on my ipod to kill time when I'm on a long trip or something. Otherwise... nope

I didn't play it to play alone on single player. Minecraft doesn't have enough gameplay on it's own to make single player interesting for long.

Single player might have around 20-30 hours of initial game play before it gets repetitive and boring.

Multiplayer, I've spend 100s of hours building.

If they are going to do this. Atleast do something that TF2 does when you are looking for a server. Basicly, have an in-client search to look for severs

Why? Servers pay $$$$$$$$$$ on advertising. This would soften the blow SOME what.

• Mojang should also add ice-cream, unicorns and pegasi to mc

I agree with the first thing. The rest, not so much.

• I bought Minecraft so I could play it Multiplayer. With others. I also bought it because I watched a youtube. Someone was playing it and it looked so fun!

So yes, because of Youtube and Servers its why i bought Minecraft. Who the hell buys Minecraft for Single player? I would on my ipod to kill time when I'm on a long trip or something. Otherwise... nope

I didn't play it to play alone on single player. Minecraft doesn't have enough gameplay on it's own to make single player interesting for long.

Single player might have around 20-30 hours of initial game play before it gets repetitive and boring.

Multiplayer, I've spend 100s of hours building.

If they are going to do this. Atleast do something that TF2 does when you are looking for a server. Basicly, have an in-client search to look for severs

Why? Servers pay $$$$$$$$$$ on advertising. This would soften the blow SOME what.

Exactly what about opening the world to LAN is that going to cost 2 now?!?! image/emoticons/default_angry.png" alt=":angry:" />

• This is MADNESS

• This is MADNESS

it's also a month old

• Exactly what about opening the world to LAN is that going to cost 2 now?!?! image/emoticons/default_angry.png" alt=":angry:" />

It's not opening it to LAN. I think she's talking about Realms.

• Someone needs to contact mojang about this!

• Someone needs to contact mojang about this!

This post is a month old, and do you think nobody contacted them?
  • edited July 2014

This post is a month old, and do you think nobody contacted them?

I'm sorry, I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I'm just getting all Uuuugh about u always saying this post is such and such months old. No offence or.anything but you're also commenting on the such and such months old forum. Oh and then sometimes it.s nice to hear ideas after they've gone tried something and reported back. 

Sorry just one person's opinion. 

• I'm sorry, I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I'm just getting all Uuuugh about u always saying this post is such and such months old. No offence or.anything but you're also commenting on the such and such months old forum. Oh and then sometimes it.s nice to hear ideas after they've gone tried something and reported back.

Sorry just one person's opinion.

I'm just teaching people how forums work. Threads are meant to last around 2 months and eventually die. That's just how pretty much every forum works. Replying to threads that are old enough to be considered "dead" for no good reason is called gravedigging, which is something that everyone who actively participates is forums dislikes. Also, it was my intention to warn people more than once simply to stress out the actual importance of avoiding gravedigging.
  • Remember some people are new and other don't read the forums much.

As far as contacting Mojang, Mojang is making these rules. You can tell them you don't like them if you wish.

• edited August 2014

I wonder if... if enough people tell Mojang that we think that the new rules suck, and more people dislike Minecraft, maybe they will change it...

Just a thought oh and btw, GladWrap idc if its a month old 

Edit: Typing error image/emoticons/default_tongue.png" alt=":P" srcset="/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This discussion has been closed.

MineCats Forum

PLAY.MINECATS.COM
@ 2016 minecats.com, All rights reserved.